Friday, July 29, 2011

Industry Interview with Kristy Sampson


The summer times are one of the biggest seasons for the Amateur Athletic Union organization, especially for the basketball department. There are over 21 tournaments that are held between girls and boys basketball each summer. While working at the annual AAU and NCAA boy’s basketball tournament located at the ESPN World Wide of Sports in Orlando, Florida. I had the opportunity to sit down with Kristy Sampson, one of the Sports Manager and who is also over girl’s basketball at AAU. The interview was conducted during a hectic evening and we experienced some interruption because Kristy was one of the main individuals in charge of assisting participants in the tournament office. Some of these individuals range from team’s coaches, parents, and even college coaches. According to Ian Guerin a writer for the SunNews.com, “AAU tournaments give players the exposure they may not have during the school season. This allows college coaches on tight budgets to see players from around the country at once” (2011).  Therefore, I expected there to be many interruption during our interview, which was all right with me because I wanted to conduct the interview during the time she was in the moment. I wanted to observe her tone, demeanor, and how she handles difficult situations. I believe this environment opened up the floor for many examples and allowed us to engage more regarding the sports industry.
My first impression of Kristy was that she has this powerful demeanor about herself that said, “Gender does not hinder my ability to do my job.” Which is one of the reasons why I selected to interview her; it is well known that it is hard for women to break through in the sports industry. Women must eat or be eaten, and Kristy Sampson is a prime example of an individual that has not allowed the stereotypical views to get in her way of being successful. I began the interview by asking Kristy the typical first question, “How did you start your career in the sports industry?” Before she answered the question, she simple stated with a smile, “I am doing exactly what I always wanted to do, and that is work within the basketball industry.” After that disclaimer, she went on to reveal that her career flourished after completing an internship during her senior year at Webber University at the AAU. After that internship, there were no positions available at the organization; therefore she decided to take a job with Parks and Recreation in Lake Wales, Florida. However, not even a year later AAU called to offer Kristy a position as sports managers. Ever since that day, nearly 11 years ago, since has been making her way around the organization from organizing the Junior Olympics games, baseball, and to her heart and soul girl’s basketball. “I have made my way around this organization, but I believe that is one of the keys in succeeding. The ability of not being afraid to try new things and you never know those new things sometimes may lead you to your dream job.” stated Kristy.
Those words opened up the floor for my next question regarding the advantages and disadvantages of being a woman in the sports industry. Kristy believed that women being apart of this male dominate industry and actually being successful, opens up so many doors for other women. The disadvantages that woman face, and not just in the sports industry, but in life. Women have to work a little harder, and sometimes no matter how much experience they may have in the industry, it sometimes is never enough. Therefore, women must over come those obstacles and keep going. “Too many women commiserate on a loss,” Hallman says. Her strategy in failure is to spend a short time thinking about the lessons, then immediately turn to something that makes her feel good” (Jones, 2011). On that note, I felt it was only right to ask, “What are some of your favorite motivational or inspirational quotes?” “Real integrity is doing the right thing, knowing that nobody’s going to know whether you did it or not by Oprah Winfery and if you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude- Maya Angelou,” stated Kristy. Theses quotes reflect the advice she would give to any individual that not only desires to enter into the sports industry, but any industry. “I strongly believe that future prospective in this industry have to be two steps ahead of everybody else. Never cut corners because you will be cheating yourself and miss out on some important information,” explained Kristy. I also asked her inquiring questions “Do you think individuals who never played sports will be successful in the sports industry?” For example, some sports agents and top sports executives have not played a single sport in high school or college. However, according to Kristy, she thinks that a person passionate and dedicate and of course research are elements that will make anyone successful in this industry. “As long as they research the in and out of the industry, I believe they will be just as successful as someone who played sports for many years,” explained Kristy.
At the conclusion of the interview, Kristy made sure to advise me of how important it is to be a hard worker and the importance of networking while interning. “If I had to do things all over again, I would not change a single thing. I made it a point to leave a lasting impression which I believe can lead individuals to receiving many job offers,” assured Kristy. She also stated that when she is looking to hire someone, their work ethics as well as their personality plays an essential part in being hire. This is one advice from the interview that I will take with me through out my journey in the sports industry. I thrive on being that individual that allows my personality to shine through and be that person my co-workers and boss remember as that employee who got the job done and with a positive attitude. Another thing that the interview taught me was the importance of paying attention to detail and being knowledgeable about aspects of the industry. The interview was such a great motivator and inspiring for me because it proves that woman can make it in this industry and be very successful.

Reference:
Active.com (2011). Many successful women say sports teaches valuable lessons. Retrieved July 29, 2011 from http://www.active.com/fitness/Articles/Many_successful_women_say_sports_teaches_valuable_lessons.htm
Guerin, Ian. (2011). NCAA, Coaches Laud Big Shots Basketball. Retrieved July 28, 2011 from http://www.thesunnews.com/2011/07/09/2268301/ncaa-coaches-laud-big-shots.html




No comments:

Post a Comment