Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Who will reap the benefits of the NFL Lockout? Someone.


It’s no secret that the National Football League is struggling with the possible reality of a lockout for the 2011-2012 seasons. So, when news came of the owners and the player’s labor union not reaching an agreement before the extended deadline of March 11, as a fan, I felt more nervous than shocked. Many questions ran through my mind as to what I would watch in replace of professional football? I must admit that nothing came to mind! Like Daniel Roberts a writer for CNN Money.com stated, "The biggest losers in an NFL lockout? Everyone." As I allowed his statement to resonate, I began to ponder and a new perspective came into mind. Although many individuals, sponsors, and organizations associated with the NFL will feel the harsh ripple effects of a lockout; the flip side of things, will allow quite a few other sports organizations to benefit from the NFL disputes.

Now pardon my embellished thinking, but if the lockout does in fact extend to the opening of football season. It would not be a surprise to see college football being played on Saturdays and Sundays. Of course, the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) would have to figure out the guidelines to accommodate the extra day. However, one league’s loss is another league’s gain; the increase in financial profit and viewer ratings being shifted to college sports programs would make up for the major transition. Other leagues such as, the MLB, NHL, and NBA would also reap the benefits of the lockout by gaining additional fans and viewer, which would ultimately lead to a financial gain for them as well. The NFL produces billions of dollars each year; therefore, with the possibility of no football season that money will undoubtedly shift to the other leagues. Like I stated before, these are my exaggerating thoughts on how other sports organization could capitalize and benefit from the NFL’s disagreements. 

In my opinion, I want to and do tend to believe that the owners and the players will come to agreement before the start of the football season (crossing my fingers). There is just too much at stake for them not to reach an agreement. If not, I hope other sports organizations are plotting on ways to take advantage of the money the NFL will be missing out on. Until then…see you in September?

-The Sportsnista ‘95




No comments:

Post a Comment