Saturday, March 5, 2011

A word to the W.I.S.E.


One day last week, while reading up on the latest news on the NBA trades; I came across some interesting information that was posted on one of my personal learning networks. Nonetheless, the owner and blogger Russell Scibetti of the Business of Sports, informed his readers of an upcoming award ceremony being held by an organization called women in sports and events (W.I.S.E.), The annual ceremony is being held this summer in New York City on June 8. According to the Business of Sports, W.I.S.E. “Is a top resource for female sports business professionals, organizing meetings, events and mentoring programs designed to support the career development of their members”(Scibetti,2011). This event is a great networking opportunity for women like myself who wish to enter the sports industry. A wise woman once said, “Luck has nothing to do with it, because I have spent many, many hours, countless hours, on the court working for my one moment in time, not knowing when it would come” (Women Sports Foundation, 2008).  So, by the time I finished reading the article, I too understood that woman, as I spent countless hours searching for flights to attend the event.

Similar to many new comers entering the sports industry, I have no idea when the golden opportunity will present it’s self. However, I do know that with preparation and positioning myself at the right place, and at the right time; it will increase my chances of getting that dream job. It is well known that women still have a long way to go before being considered equals in this male dominated industry. In spite of the industries limited female voices, I advised the future W.I.S.E. to follow the words of the late great Florence Griffith Joyner; “I know what I have to do, and I’m going to do whatever it takes. If I do it, I’ll come out a winner, and it doesn’t matter what anyone else does”(Women Sports Foundation, 2008).

See you at the TOP!
-The Sportsnista ‘95



No comments:

Post a Comment